Saturday 7 January 2012

MK Marathon...

Oh go on then! ;)

I had always said MK Marathon just seemed too close and I didn't want to do it. So I was planning on completing MK Half and then having a go at New Forest Marathon later on in the year so I could prepare myself more. That was until I attended David Lloyd Redway Runners marathon clinic earlier this week.

I went along to help me prepare for what was in store after my half mara. I had no idea really what I would be letting myself in for. Well I had some kind of idea as my parent's take part in Ironman for fun (seriously, crazy people!) So marathons kind of seemed 'normal' to me. But I knew I needed to learn more about what it was going to take.

Milton Keynes was sold to me by Andy Hully the race director. The story of how Milton Keynes Marathon came to be made me fall in love with it. I love Milton Keynes. Its my home town. The route seems lovely, no travelling, so many friends and family to take part so I won't feel lonely, and friends and family can support so easily. Also next year I just don't know what my running plans will be. After my wedding comes moving house and decisions about more children. I just don't know if Milton Keynes Marathon is going to be on the agenda for next year. Anyway I just got a buzz from the whole thing so Milton Keynes Marathon is my new goal with MK Half becoming part of my training!

So 16 weeks to go the training begins! My training plan is taking a complete u-turn as a marathon is just a different ball game. I am slightly frightened I have to be honest, but I am surrounded by people who I know can help me. My parent's for one are always great for support and advice. They are also training for Milton Keynes Marathon and Outlaw Triathlon. Mental people but very supportive and I wouldn't even be considering doing Milton Keynes Marathon if it wasn't for them.

So back to training, yes...Its going to be tough but I think I am handle it. I have my training plan ready, I am prepared to hurt a little and feel a little out of my depth for a while but I know I'm not alone :) I am prepared to miss training days or take an extra cross training day if my body tells me to f**k off. I am very worried about injury but I think my taking it slow, listening to my body and being prepared to maybe take some extra rest days here or there I should be alright.

Targets for Milton Keynes Marathon...well I just want to finish really, but being as competitive as I am I really wand sub 5hrs. I think this is a realistic target. This a steady pace of 11.30 minute mile pace. Doesn't sound much but I am still frightened at the thought of maintaining that for 5hrs! So pleased I know people running it with me. I feel I will need those people at some point. I probably chat with people I don't even now. Having read many Ironman race reports of my mum, it appears a good gossip during an endurance is a must! So I will be keeping this in mind ;)

I have decided dieting will have to stop. I need my energy. I am now maintaining my weight, though with marathon training if I am eating right I should lose half a stone...or so I am told ;) So not dieting but still making sure I am getting a healthy balanced diet so I can handle these long wrongs and this intense training. Sport massage I think will become a must...any volunteers?! ;)

I'm not sure if the madness has kicked in yet, or the realisation of what I have done. As my training takes off I am sure I will have highs and lows.

Marathon running mummy. Some how I will fit this into my life. I want my photo of me and F with my finishers medal :) That's the goal, now for the journey.... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment